Explore Subspecialties to Find Your Ideal Job
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Know What You Want in Your Ideal Physician Job and other Physician Jobs topics.
How can I find my ideal job in my specialty?
Some people know exactly the types of physician jobs they want to pursue, while others opt for exploration before committing to a particular specialty or practice setting. For example, all emergency medicine jobs require the ability to assess and stabilize patients immediately to prevent death or additional injury. But there are jobs for physicians in several different subspecialties of emergency medicine, including:
- Hospice and palliative medicine: Relieving pain and suffering in patients at the end of life.
- Medical toxicology: Caring for patients who have suffered accidental or deliberate poisoning.
- Pediatric emergency medicine: Managing medical emergencies in infants and children.
- Sports medicine: Managing and preventing injuries sustained during sports, such as fractures and concussions.
- Undersea and hyperbaric medicine: Treating patients with decompression illness due to underwater accidents, or treating other problems related to diving accidents.
If you are unsure about which specialty is your ideal job, consider temporary physician staffing positions as a way to explore different fields.